Yes this post is long overdue, but as the saying goes, better late than never. Spring Break is a much need hiatus from everyday life after a long winter (here in Utah winter starts in in Oct/Nov.) It is one of the perks of being a teacher. It almost makes up for being underpaid...ALMOST. This year I became a salmon and swam upstream. Everyone else I know headed south, I head north to Grandma's smiles, hugs, and yummy cooking not to mention the rest of my crazy and loving Canadian family. :o) I love you guys!
Like with many of the trips I take, I consider the road trip to my destination one of my favorite parts. There is just something to be said about windows down, scenery flying past, singing at the top of my lungs to my iPod, and eating junk food with Carla. We have way too much fun in the car together, poor Jake had to suffer through our debates and endless random conversations. On the way up we decided to take the scenic route which according to Jake would show us some of "the most beautiful country." Here is what we were suppose to see...
A bit of Heaven on Earth wouldn't you say? Well this is what we actually ended up seeing...
Thats right it snowed all the way from Rexburg until we were probably halfway through Montana. No worries though we got to enjoy the scenery on the way back. The next adventure was at the border. We were actually stopped and had to go in and show someone our passports and answer the same questions over and over again. I have a few theories about this. 1) Carla, Jake, and I look like sketchy people. 2) Mariah Carey's Hero was playing in the background when we pulled up to the border guard. 3) The question, "Do you have any guns or ammunition on you?" and Jake wanting to answer "I didn't know I needed them." Whatever the reason we made it through.
While in the First Nation of Hockey we played in the Canadian Rockies. They are just gorgeous. I live at the base of the mountains here in Utah and they still took my breath away. They are so jagged and steep. You can almost just see where plates collided and one shot up. Our adventures included enjoying the Banff hot springs, and shopping. Here are a few of the treasures we found.
You can't go to Canada in the winter and not go to a hockey game. We went to the Calgary Hitman. They are the minor league team that the NHL drafts from, and since you have to be 21 to be in the NHL there are a lot of really good players in the minor league. My uncles swear it is actually better hockey than the pros. I won't lie while the game was amazing...we killed them (7-1) the mascot got more of my attention.
Overall it was an amazing trip. It was one of those trips where you truly come back rested and ready to face life again. It was relaxing, low key, fun, and it doesn't get any better than hanging out with family. So THANK YOU to everyone!!!
Nutcracker
6 months ago

0 comments:
Post a Comment