Friday, November 27, 2009

Gobble, Gobble



I hope everyone had a yummy Thanksgiving! Mine was fabulous! This year I was head chef and what an adventure that turned out to be. The grossest part was definitely pulling the neck and giblets out of the cavity. I got the neck halfway out before I noticed it curved and then screamed as a mental image of a turkey head on the other end popped into my overly imaginative brain. After a quick phone call to Mom and being reassured that there was no head on the other end I counted to 3 and pulled. Next came the wax bag with all the good stuff inside, that was easy I just didn't look at it. After rinsing Mr. Turkey I went to dry the inside of the cavity and felt something that wasn't suppose to be there....the heart.

For the record, organic turkeys leave the heart in and make you cut it out. Somehow this is suppose to be more humane than them doing it but either way Tom the Turkey is dead so why don't they save me the stress and cut out the heart, besides I'm sure there are machines that can do that for them.



After all that drama I finally got to the good part I stuffed Tom with apples, onions, an sage seasoning. I even separated the skin from the breast and stuffed there. Then into the oven it went and off to the couch I went for a quick break then onto the the side dishes (mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, caramelized carrots, jello, rolls, and stuffing made by H.



The heavenly aroma of turkey filled the entire house! J and Ro went off to conquer brown/rainbow trout in the Provo River (with the promise they would do the dishes after dinner) while the sisters and I enjoyed the Macy's Day Parade and watching holiday movies. That's right we watched ZERO football this year....blasphemy you say? quite possibly. By the time we did get around to watching some football the only game on was Texas vs. Texas A&M and since Ro gets enough Texas pride at graduate school he vetoed and we watched Home Alone instead.



The dinner was amazing. The meat was so moist it literally was falling right off the bones. We all gained about 5 pounds and then retreated to the couches. After regaining consciousness we gained another couple pounds during dessert (Roxy made us an apple pie and Aunt J got us the pumpkin pie.)



I dedicate this post to Tom the Turkey the heart and soul of our meal. May he know that he brought us many great memories and lots of yummy leftovers! Here's to you in turkey heaven!

1 comments:

megan b. said...

wow i never want to make a turkey! congrats on your triumph! looks yummy!