There is a story of a man who in the 14th century saved a town from a growing population of rats. He is called the Pied Piper. Now yes rats are gross but they aren't all that bad I mean lets not forget Splinter, leader of the Ninja Turtles or The Rats of NIHM (great book you should read it!!!) Then there is the Reepicheep from the Chronicles of Narnia. Personally, he was my favorite character, a 2 foot tall rat that had a huge heart and an even quicker sword fighting hand, not to mention a great sense of humor. ANYWAY I DIGRESS....
My brother is the Pied Piper of fish. Seriously he drops his hook in the water and fish are fighting over who gets to bite it. This weekend he let me in on his secret to a laid back, stress-free life...fly fishing!!!
After putting on tons of waterproof gear we ventured out onto the Snake River. I got a quick 15 minute tutorial and then thrown into the deep end (literally!! for part of the day we were wading through thigh deep water!) Jake is a great teacher cause within 10 minutes I had my first bite and my first fish to get away! No worries though I caught 4 fish that day!! I caught what is called the Grand Slam (meaning I caught at least 1 of each of the four types of fish that are native to that river). I caught a Rocky Mountain White fish, a brown trout, Cut-Throat Fish, and the most beautiful fish of all the Rainbow Trout (check out the picture below!!).
I have found a new love! Fly fishing is a lot harder than it looks so when you do catch a fish it is soooo rewarding!! I love that there were times on Saturday that the only noise you heard was the sound of the river flowing past. It was as if life had stood still, which after spending the week in a classroom with 26 noisy 5th graders was nice! How I appreciate silence!
Haha I guess the best way to close this blog is with a quote from "A River Runs Through It" which is about fly fishing. Besides beautiful scenery, and a great plot, the movie stars the always good looking Brad Pitt!!! So here it is...
"Eventually, all things merge into one, and a river runs through it. The river was cute by the world's great flood and runs over rocks from the basement of time. On some of those rocks are timeless raindrops. Under the rock are the words, and some of the words are theirs."

1 comments:
I love the movie "A River Runs Through It." Brad Pitt is so ridiculously hot in that movie.
Post a Comment