Monday, November 10, 2008

Politics



So I teach 5th grade. Over the last 2 months we have been learning all about the 3 branches of government and monitoring the election. I know this is a little late being posted (what can i say life happens and when it does i don't have time to blog) but I thought I would share with you some of the insights these 10 year olds had on our beautiful political system.

After watching the 2nd Presidential Debate

Student: Teacher, I have decided that politics turns men into 3 year olds. Me and my brother don't fight as much as McCain and Obama fight...and that's alot!!

Student: So I think that my mom should have run that debate. That way they couldn't be mean to each other. She would have grounded them and sent them to their rooms.

Student: I don't think either of them should be our next president. They aren't very nice!

Student: Why did McCain keep calling everyone his friends? I don't know him. I'm not his friend.


After Obama had won:

Student: TEACHER! TEACHER! Obama is going to paint the White House black!! Its all over the news! Its historic! The White House is going to be black!!!!
Teacher: No sweetheart. Obama IS black. He IS African American. He IS NOT going to paint the White House black. He is black. Its historic because he is our first black president!
Student: OOHHH. (sigh of relief) I didn't want a Black House.

Student: Why would you want to be president anyway? Its seems like a lot of work and someone always doesn't like you! I wouldn't want my dad to be president.




My thoughts on this historic election.

First, I would like to say good luck to President-Elect Obama! You definitely have your work cut out for you! It is not a job I would want. I am honored that less than 60 years after Rosa Park sat at the front of a bus we as a nation can celebrate the first African American President. I remember during high school having to interview people who were older than me about national events that had defined their lives (JFK Assassination, Pearl Harbor, Vietnam etc.) and can't help but feel like someday someone will ask me about what it was like to watch TV and see the first black president announced! How exciting it is to watch history happen. Whether or not change is coming during the next 4 years, I think we can all agree, change has happened!

Our country has worked through difficult times full of hate, fear, and misunderstanding. We, as a nation, have entered into a new ear where the immortal words "All Men are Created Equal" truly mean that any man, women (Palin as VP Candidate), or child, no matter their station, culture, or skin tone, really can be whatever they want to be. This election brought hope to me. So many people got involved and watched the debates, researched the issues, and celebrated the democratic system. There was the highest voter turn out in 40 years! As my generation enters the work force and begins to climb the ladder of success and leadership I hope we will take this lesson to heart. "Change" and "hope" both beautiful messages I want my 26 bright students to believe in, can unite people in a way that no iron fist can. They are the message of a bright future no matter how dark the forest around is now. They are a TRULY AMERICAN MESSAGE! Decide who you are and what you want to be, then chase your dreams! No one can stop you!


P.S. This political cartoon I just thought was funny! SNL did a great job this election! Now that the election is over what are they going to make fun of??

0 comments: