OK so I have a HUGE decision coming up and I need some help so I am pleading for ya'll two cents. I am currently trying to decided if I should head home and teach somewhere in the DC area or stay in Utah and teach another year. If you ask me what I want its to go home. I came to Utah to go to college and gain a degree and well I have accomplished that goal. I miss my family and friends, the humidity, snow days, fireflies, and that is where I ultimately want to spend the rest of my life somewhere on the east coast. Now this might seem like a no brainer after that last sentence and I'm sure you are probably thinking "Well, just go home!" but its not actually that easy. Let me explain.
This wonderful economy of ours is effecting education as well as every other field out there. Most school systems are having to make major cut backs this includes a pay freeze, hiring freeze, and/or losing a lot of extracurricular things that make school fun. Now, normally schools just offer incentives for older teachers to retire so that they and pay new teachers less money (in the teaching profession your pay is based on your experience) but no one wants to retire because their 401Ks suck. Thank you wall street and stupid selfish CEOs with your million dollar bonuses, private jets, and no accountability!
ANYWAY...basically even finding teaching jobs is getting harder to do, especially since I have to apply for a VA teaching license. Its not that hard to do since I already have a Utah one. It does, however, just take time. Time I don't necessarily have since my principal needs to know in the next few weeks if she should fill my position. AARRRGGG I hate jumping through hoops which is what I am having to do! So here are my pros and cons for staying and going...
STAYING IN UTAH PROS:
I love the other teachers I work with!
I love the school...the students are so sweet (most the time!)
I have a guaranteed job for next year!
California, Vegas, and Idaho are less than a day's drive away!
I am in the middle of some of the greatest ski resorts in the world.
It will be my 2nd year teaching 5th grade which means SO MUCH LESS PLANNING!!!
It means I won't have to move across the country.
Holly got accepted to BYU and Roxy is probably transferring.
I finally found a doctor out here so I feel sorta settled.
There are so many amazing things to experience out here when it comes to the Church...Conference, CES Firesides, Temple Square, etc.
STAYING IN UTAH CONS:
It means staying in Utah.
Utah drivers.
The Provo Dating Scene.
6 months of winter (I'm tired of being frozen!)
NO SNOW DAYS!
The Provo Dating Scene.
I am a 3 day drive or a 5 hour $400 plane ride away from home.
I have 2 weddings to come home for next year THATS A LOT OF MONEY IN TRAVELING!!
The Provo Dating Scene.
Its so freaking dry out here!
The lack of greenness.
Shylo is in Virginia.
GOING BACK EAST PROS:
Its not Utah!!
There is an appropriate amount of winter (3 months!)
Snow Days!
New dating scene with normal people!
My family1
My friends!
I won't have to buy a plane ticket to come home for Sunday Dinner, go to a wedding, or a family gathering.
Where better to teach about American History than in the Historic East! Think of all the field trips!
A days drive from NYC, Philly, Boston, the beach, and just about everywhere!
ITS GREEN!!
It's home and there is where my heart is!
I could meet someone who wants to stay back east which seems easier than trying to meet somewhere out here in Utah who wants to go back east.
I'd make more money!
GOING BACK EAST CONS:
No guaranteed job.
Might have to move in the parents for awhile.
Ok so there it is laid out in pluses and minuses. Let me know what you think I need all the advice I can get!
Nutcracker
4 months ago

3 comments:
ummm, I'm going home this summer for good so I think you should join me!! haha, : ) But that's a decision only you can make! I know everybody says oo dating is so much easier in Utah, but not true. If the Lord wants you to meet "the one" He will bring him to you in whatever way possible :) I agree with your Utah cons list, but also being closer to your family is such a great thing. Also, meeting somebody in the East you have a better chance of STAYING in the east hahaa. O and MORE money would do it for me!! Hahah, good luck hun!
I'm a little biased but I love the east coast. DC could use some good teachers :)
GO TO THE EAST!!!!!! Its the best place on earth!!! You have everything there ;) leave Utah while you can!!!! hehe jk Utah is great....East coast = better
Miss you Cassie!! Plus we are coming home for a few weeks in the summer! I want to see you! I miss you!
Post a Comment